Monday, April 25, 2016

Readathon Results

This is a really quick update to my last post about Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon. I honestly didn't read as much as I hoped to. While I listen to audiobooks while commuting and working and occasionally read single issues of comics during lunch breaks or right before bed, I hadn't picked up a novel for pleasure in a really long time.

I started my morning off by reading two volumes of Bill Willingham's Fables, Volume 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers and Volume 5: The Mean Seasons. I've somehow been really dragging my heels reading my way through this series, but I really do enjoy seeing the cast of fairy tale characters cast in different lights. I think these two volumes really started escalating the threat of the Adversary even more, which was especially exciting.

The novel that I attempted to pick up was Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. I only got 5 chapters in on Saturday, but I'm already enjoying it immensely. My enjoyment of it might actually be a contributing factor to how slowly I've been going through it; even though I know it's only the first in a trilogy, I still want to savor my reading experience. I loved The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin when I read it in college and gender dynamics are really fascinating to me in general, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play out throughout Leckie's trilogy. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for me during a readathon, but, even with as slow as I was going taking breaks between chapters, I didn't want to switch to another book or even back to Fables.

I might not have gotten as much reading done as I wanted to, but it was really nice to carve out a day and dedicate it to reading. I'm definitely looking forward to set aside more reading days, especially as the weather gets warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment